Dark Skull Studios
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhishisikk
Elite Follower
Elite Follower
Rhishisikk

Character sheet
Name: Typhon
Title: Sea Viper
Primary Domain: Sea

Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh Empty
PostSubject: Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh   Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 7:27 am

The Sayan people, coming almost to the lake, find their promised land. As described by their deity, it is a raised mound of land in a rich marsh. They give prayers that the thing they've seen moving about under the water isn't hungry enough to attack them. The craftsmen find little stone, but a surplus of black clay that they can use for building. Many of the trees are dead, but some larger ones still have leaves.

Although fruits and nuts are lacking, there is a green algae which the witches and craftsmen declare (after testing) to be fit to eat. For meat, there are ever-present leeches (they eat us, we eat them - a reason for canoes and rafts, the second priority of the craftsmen) amphibians, and (for the hunters) gators. Although vastly different from the diet of the lake cultures, it is a balanced and healthy diet.

Although they cannot SEE either other culture, they can see the circling birds overhead, and hear the celebrations of their neighbors. By winter, their houses are done, and they are ready to explore.
Back to top Go down
tygerr
Elite Follower
Elite Follower

Character sheet
Name: Saya
Title: The Guardian
Primary Domain: Protection

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh   Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 2:12 pm

Minor trivia note: the tribe call themselves Orang, but give the name Orangkami to outsiders.
Back to top Go down
tygerr
Elite Follower
Elite Follower

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh   Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 3:27 pm

Hmm...I tried this once before but it seems to have vanished into the ether.

Send a mixed Household-sized group (4 Spearmen, 3 ordinary tribesmen, 2 Craftsmen, and 1 Witch) to each of the other two tribes to introduce ourselves. The goal is a peaceful, friendly introduction in an effort to establish a good-neighbor sort of relationship and open the possibility of trade in the future. To that end, bring gifts--gator meat, handicrafts, etc.--as sample trade goods.

I will of course pay fairly close attention to each of those groups as well as the main village until they're home safe, and I am prepared to cast Miracles if necessary in order to accomplish that last. (Gah. While I recognize the current necessity, I dislike that sort of rapid "channel-flipping". It makes my head hurt--or at least it would if I had a material body.)

If I can figure out who their gods are and how to contact them directly, I will introduce myself to them via messengers in the Celestial Realm, with the same end goals in mind.

The other tribes may be doing something similar, as they can doubtless see the Orang cooking fires as well. Instruct the people to keep a watch at the village--be prepared to show hospitality if possible, but spearpoints if necessary.

(Looks over message...that appears to be more or less what I said in the first, lost message.)
Back to top Go down
tygerr
Elite Follower
Elite Follower

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh   Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 3:50 pm

Just to make sure I've got the right sets of mental imagery--

The whole "tropical jungles with dinosaurs" setting makes me think either Equatorial West Africa or else Indonesia. The description of the people as brown-skinned and straight-haired settled me in to Indonesia. Is that a fair analogue for the area we're in, or will I be misleading myself if I keep envisioning "pulp-adventure alternate Indonesia with dinosaurs"?
Back to top Go down
Varchild_Marquee
Hero
Hero
Varchild_Marquee

Character sheet
Name: Valdjag'r
Title: Devil in the Boughs
Primary Domain: Forests

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh   Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 4:29 pm

I got the idea it was closer to the Amazon Basin... people there are also brown-skinned with straight black hair...
Back to top Go down
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GGuild-UHCL
tygerr
Elite Follower
Elite Follower

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh   Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 10:44 pm

Oh, right. I missed that possibility. And the Amazon Basin is yet another primo lost-world-with-dinosaurs area, as well.
Back to top Go down
Rhishisikk
Elite Follower
Elite Follower
Rhishisikk

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh   Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 5:28 am

It is Amazonian rain forest, minus the pirahna. Unless one of y'all wants to create them, in which case, feel free.
Back to top Go down
tygerr
Elite Follower
Elite Follower

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh   Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 9:18 pm

Those of us whose people live amongst the waters would greatly appreciate a continued conspicuous absence of piranhas, thank you very much.

(Having already set the precedent, however incorrectly, I think Orangkami names and other unique words will probably continue to be at least loosely based on various Indonesian languages. Amazonian native languages are too complex, too confusing, and too poorly documented.)
Back to top Go down
tygerr
Elite Follower
Elite Follower

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh   Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 9:33 pm

Hmm. It seems yet another tribe is newly-arrived.

Wait until one of the current "Welcome Neighbor" delegations return, and then send out another to these newest arrivals. (Don't want to drain the home village TOO dry of elites, after all! At least not until the boats are built and the Thing In The Water is definitively dealt with one way or another.)

And is it just my followers being whiny, or is it truly getting unconscionably loud around these parts at night?
Back to top Go down
Rhishisikk
Elite Follower
Elite Follower
Rhishisikk

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh   Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 5:44 pm

Each new tribe has a single night of celebration. But yes, there are quite a few of these nights. I have no problem with the delegations doing multiple tasks in a month. It only takes one night to do a proper greeting, after all.
Back to top Go down
tygerr
Elite Follower
Elite Follower

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh   Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 8:11 pm

Okay then, once a delegation returns, off goes another to Nocturn's people. (Keep it rotated around. Give folk time to take care of their affairs at home while spreading out the risks.)

Same basic deal. Introduce ourselves, offer peaceful trade, etc. I'll be rotating my attentions between the various delegations and the home village in an attempt to become aware of any urgent needs as quickly as possible, even if the folk affected don't have time to pray for help.
Back to top Go down
Nedako
Wandering Spirit
Wandering Spirit
Nedako

Character sheet
Name: Xion
Title: Prime Magician of Dark Transformations
Primary Domain: Oblivion

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh   Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 4:40 pm

when my delegation returns from nocturns people, I will probably start up my people on building canooes and rafts so that they can get around better...that is, if they havn't started already without me having to tell them too. I wonder how having 200 people in one place will go...
Back to top Go down
tygerr
Elite Follower
Elite Follower

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh   Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 4:31 pm

What with the lake being the dominant geographical feature, a couple major rivers, one of our settlements being on an island, and the observation that this setting is essentially "the Amazon basin sans piranha but plus dinosaurs", I expect canoes will be the dominant form of transportation for all of us.

My people, of course, are completely dependent on them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh   Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dark Jungle - Eastern Marsh
Page 1 of 1