Dark Skull Studios
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhishisikk
Elite Follower
Elite Follower
Rhishisikk

Character sheet
Name: Typhon
Title: Sea Viper
Primary Domain: Sea

Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region Empty
PostSubject: Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region   Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 6:36 pm

The tribe of Valdj [okay, I need to write down the profile stuff to have the names handy], finding the highest trees they can, is actually south of, but within view of, the Central Lake. They immediately begin setting up tree houses, traps, and vine bridges between their homes.

Their birds scour the area, searching for other human tribes. (Unless their deity has other orders for them).
Back to top Go down
Rhishisikk
Elite Follower
Elite Follower
Rhishisikk

Character sheet

PostSubject: Arrival of the Xionites   Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 7:18 pm

Coming from the deep trees of the west, the Xionites take their first look onto the Central Lake. Inhaling a deep breath, one of the Alchemists speaks.

"Ah, yes, fish. An ample addition to our diet."
"We can get that." said one of the ninjas. Holding their short spears, the ninjas crept up on the shore.
"The odds of sneaking up on a fish and successfully spearing it on the first hit are -"
"NINJA!" screamed one of the ninja, holding aloft a fish. The cry was echoed by his peers, who endeavored to spear their own fish.
"But. But. How?" asked the Alchemist.
A nearby mage shrugged his shoulders. "Ninjas. Blessed from the god Xion. WISH THEY'D BLESS US WITH SOME WORK ON THE BUILDINGS."
Blessed with many things, but not an abundance of hearing, the ninjas continued their sport.
Used to this, the people began setting up their huts.
Back to top Go down
Varchild_Marquee
Hero
Hero
Varchild_Marquee

Character sheet
Name: Valdjag'r
Title: Devil in the Boughs
Primary Domain: Forests

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region   Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 8:56 pm

Are we supposed to wait to respond to this until everyone starts or are you giving us "roll call"ed people a head start on the first turn?
Back to top Go down
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GGuild-UHCL
Rhishisikk
Elite Follower
Elite Follower
Rhishisikk

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region   Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 7:17 am

There are 'in character' threads, and I won't check the timeline until the official game start, but yes, feel free to do anything non-conflicty y'all want.
Back to top Go down
tygerr
Elite Follower
Elite Follower

Character sheet
Name: Saya
Title: The Guardian
Primary Domain: Protection

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region   Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 1:04 am

It seems there isn't an "Eastern Marshes"-specific not-in-character thread, so I'm going to post my OOC series of questions about the Marshes here. Hope nobody minds.

Reviewing the various things said about the marshes in which the Orang have settled, and the resources they've got available:

I didn't specify anything about proximity to a river or other current flow when I described the desired settlement site, though I'd envisioned that. My bad. So is there anything like a stream, river, or other current-flow near the Orang village, or no? (And if not, is the local swamp-water potable? What are the tribe doing for drinking water?) How deep is the water in the wetter parts of the swamp, and how frequent/large/dry are the patches of high ground? (Not that I intend to leave the local terrain in its completely-natural state for all that long....)

You wrote that the village location is "almost" at the lake--how far away is it? And how far away are the other known tribes (the tree people, the people of the night, and the...uh...other people of the night)?

You mentioned that many of the local trees are dead. Does that mean actually DEAD dead, as in some sort of plant blight has been through here recently or this marsh is part of a recent ecological change in the area, or do you merely mean "lost their leaves for the winter"? (Your description of winter seems more severe than most of Amazonia, and the existence of a hot/cool seasonal cycle rather than merely wet/dry implies the possibility that some of the trees might lose their leaves in the winter.) I'm wondering if I should be looking into the question of WHY the local vegetation is dying off, or whether all will be fine come spring....

What sorts of obviously-*useful* trees are in the vicinity, and in what quantities? Fruit-bearing (plantain is native to Amazonia IIRC), large fronds (palms, for instance--not all palms are coastal/desert sandy-soil types), straight trunks for large-scale wood construction, or particularly strong/durable/hard/light/whatever wood likewise? Is there bamboo or rattan or other large-cane-type plant life in the area?

You specifically mentioned leeches, amphibians, and gators as meat supplies from the marsh waters. You didn't mention fish or shellfish (such as crabs). Was that a deliberate omission implying their absence? (Some marshes are stagnant enough to be pretty much uninhabitable to any largish critter that gets its oxygen from water, others are teeming with fish.) What about turtles and/or other water-dwelling small reptiles? Giant insects, like the two- or three-foot beetles and dragonflies that are so often found in these Lost World scenarios?

You noted a scarcity of stone. Did you mean specifically stone for building large things like houses and ovens (which was the immediate context, I believe)? Flints, schists, and/or other stone types useful for toolmaking? Or did you mean that *rocks-in-general* are hard to find in the area due to the thick layer of organic swamp muck overlaying everything? (Regardless of which case you meant, my craftsmen are going to be hot to get a decent set of trade agreements going. They'll be *needing* flint/obsidian/chert and basalt/schist, at minimum...now what do the Orangkami have to offer in trade? Other than toasted soylent cakes, of course! *g*)

And yes, I know I'm grossly overanalyzing. I'm an engineer. I do that. And I want a good notion of what we have to work with, so that I don't miss anything potentially important by simply *assuming* that of course the tribe does (or doesn't) have some resource or skill....
Back to top Go down
tygerr
Elite Follower
Elite Follower

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region   Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 1:08 am

Quote :
You wrote that the village location is "almost" at the lake--how far away is it?

And do the mashes blend into the lake, or is there dry land between? (More to the point, are there open watercourses between the village site and the lake proper which might be navigable by critters and/or canoes?)
Back to top Go down
Rhishisikk
Elite Follower
Elite Follower
Rhishisikk

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region   Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 2:36 pm

tygerr wrote:
[SNIP]I didn't specify anything about proximity to a river or other current flow when I described the desired settlement site, though I'd envisioned that. My bad. So is there anything like a stream, river, or other current-flow near the Orang village, or no?
[/SNIP]
There is a flow along the southeast side of the 'island' your villagers call home. By comparison, the water along the west side is stagnant, and home to algae and the mudfish that feed upon it. (And on occasion, the things that feed upon the mudfish.)

tygerr wrote:
[SNIP]
How deep is the water in the wetter parts of the swamp, and how frequent/large/dry are the patches of high ground? [/SNIP]
Waters are treacherous near the island. There are large tracts of water less than waist deep, with abrupt drops and sinkholes. The sinkholes are particularly dangerous, as marsh gators love lurking in them.

There are many small patches of land, but none of them large enough to support a village. There are six that can support homestead size settlements.

tygerr wrote:
[SNIP]
You wrote that the village location is "almost" at the lake--how far away is it? And how far away are the other known tribes (the tree people, the people of the night, and the...uh...other people of the night)?
[/SNIP]
You can add two hours to your travel time going to the lake, and almost three on the way back (without the current of the river). Since the lake itself isn't (currently) dangerous, your travel time is almost the same to all tribes. The farthest away, by about twenty minutes, are the Nocturnals.
Yes, the direct route to the lake hits dry land, but your 'flow' joins the river near the south of the swamp, which is an easy canoe ride downriver to the Lake.

tygerr wrote:
[SNIP]
You mentioned that many of the local trees are dead. [/SNIP]
It's common to bayous. The living trees sink into the water, and they drown. The rot begins at their roots and branches, but eventually the entire tree will rot away.

tygerr wrote:
[SNIP]
What sorts of obviously-*useful* trees are in the vicinity, and in what quantities? Fruit-bearing (plantain is native to Amazonia IIRC), large fronds (palms, for instance--not all palms are coastal/desert sandy-soil types), straight trunks for large-scale wood construction, or particularly strong/durable/hard/light/whatever wood likewise? Is there bamboo or rattan or other large-cane-type plant life in the area? [/SNIP]
Yes, the borders of the swamp are lush terrain, filled with a variety of trees, bushes, and nuts. Your people do not have a problem gathering food. There are lumber trees available, when the peoples progress that far in technology.

tygerr wrote:
[SNIP]
You specifically mentioned leeches, amphibians, and gators as meat supplies from the marsh waters. You didn't mention fish or shellfish (such as crabs). Was that a deliberate omission implying their absence? [/SNIP]
No, there are fish, if smaller ones than in the Central Lake. In particular, there are scavenging mudfish (similar to catfish) to the west of your island. But don't get any ideas of deep-marsh net fishing as a practical way of increasing your food supply. Likewise, while there are no 'crabs', there are crayfish and crawdads and similar.

tygerr wrote:
[SNIP]
What about turtles and/or other water-dwelling small reptiles? Giant insects, like the two- or three-foot beetles and dragonflies that are so often found in these Lost World scenarios? [/SNIP]
Oh, and the giant water spiders? No, there are large insects in the marsh, but it is rare to find one longer than six thumbs in length. Your people have seen large newts of the size you're talking, and some old frogs of that size, but no turtles larger than their foot.

tygerr wrote:
[SNIP]
You noted a scarcity of stone. Did you mean specifically stone for building large things like houses and ovens (which was the immediate context, I believe)? Flints, schists, and/or other stone types useful for toolmaking? Or did you mean that *rocks-in-general* are hard to find in the area due to the thick layer of organic swamp muck overlaying everything? [/SNIP]
I did mean STONE IN GENERAL is rare in the swamp. You have a variety of foodstuffs to trade, and other resources when the tech level increases enough for your people to realize them. One of the household islands near the edge of the swamp has a pile of stones on it, but the 'creepy feeling' near there keeps your people away.

tygerr wrote:
[SNIP]
And yes, I know I'm grossly overanalyzing. I'm an engineer. I do that. And I want a good notion of what we have to work with, so that I don't miss anything potentially important by simply *assuming* that of course the tribe does (or doesn't) have some resource or skill....[/SNIP]
No problem. I'd rather these questions be asked in the forums before it turns out that I just haven't been informative or specifiic enough.
Back to top Go down
tygerr
Elite Follower
Elite Follower

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region   Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 9:38 pm

Quote :
There is a flow along the southeast side of the 'island' your villagers call home. By comparison, the water along the west side is stagnant, and home to algae and the mudfish that feed upon it. (And on occasion, the things that feed upon the mudfish.)

So the water to the southeast is safely potable, and the stagnant water to the west is where the algae for the swamp-folk's signature toasted-pond-scum "soylent crackers" is collected, yes? :-)

Quote :
Waters are treacherous near the island. There are large tracts of water less than waist deep, with abrupt drops and sinkholes. The sinkholes are particularly dangerous, as marsh gators love lurking in them.

Wow. So canoes and rafts really ARE a very high priority, not merely a convenience to keep the people dry and help them carry trade goods.

Quote :
Yes, the direct route to the lake hits dry land, but your 'flow' joins the river near the south of the swamp, which is an easy canoe ride downriver to the Lake.

To paraphrase what I think you said: there is a navigable water route from the shores of the island into the lake (though it's not direct), but there is no navigable overland route between the island and the mainland? Nifty. :-)

Quote :
The living trees sink into the water, and they drown.

Which would imply that the trees further from the shore would be the live ones. Yes?

Quote :
there are scavenging mudfish (similar to catfish) (snip) crayfish and crawdads and similar.

Catfish 'n' gator 'n' mudbugs, YEE HAW! Ah gotta git Thibodeaux to invent us some roux and blackenin' spices, an' den we be findin' us some red beans an have us a grand ol' feast! :-D

Quote :
I did mean STONE IN GENERAL is rare in the swamp.

That's what I thought--it makes sense--but I figured I'd clarify.

Quote :
One of the household islands near the edge of the swamp has a pile of stones on it, but the 'creepy feeling' near there keeps your people away.

Right. Let's keep it that way--I do think I'll declare Cairn Island taboo.
Back to top Go down
Rhishisikk
Elite Follower
Elite Follower
Rhishisikk

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region   Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 3:35 pm

YOU chose to live in the swamp. Complain all you like, swamp foods are abundant there.

Yes, the only SAFE way in or out of the marsh is by boat. That will change if any of the gators gets big, or other dangers infest the swamp. There is no completely overland route to the island.

The trees in shallow areas are still alive, yes. But they require journeys from the island to get to.
Back to top Go down
Nedako
Wandering Spirit
Wandering Spirit
Nedako

Character sheet
Name: Xion
Title: Prime Magician of Dark Transformations
Primary Domain: Oblivion

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region   Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 4:31 pm

I think I am going to get ahold of several canoos and go have my priests take a look at "Cairne Island"...It seems to me that stone in any form would be rather useful...and if worst comes to worst, we can exorcise the place then claim it.
Back to top Go down
tygerr
Elite Follower
Elite Follower

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region   Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 4:16 pm

NO YOU DON'T!!

Seriously, that has every indication of constituting "kicking the dragon in the eyeball". If you want to poke at Cairn Island, I'd suggest we all get together and work out a joint plan.

And quite apart from that, it seems to be the only source of stone in or near to my territory. Not to mention my people discovered it. So whether working on the basis of proximity, first discovery, or greatest need, fair dealing would seem to indicate I get first rights to the rockpile.

And now you've gotten a rise out of me, which I suspect was your primary goal all along. So you win! :-D
Back to top Go down
tygerr
Elite Follower
Elite Follower

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region   Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 4:22 pm

I'm not complaining about the environment, I'm just trying to make sure I understand what's there and what isn't. I'm actually rather enjoying it and may well add some Cajun-isms to the culture--you'll note I'm already laying the groundwork for my people to acquire the disparaging nickname "crackers" (and the standard feast when guests come visiting WILL involve a communal crawfish feed and loud music with energetic foot-stomping, hand-clapping dancing. (Hmm...we're probably an unreasonable number of years away from inventing the harmonica, the fiddle, *or* the accordion, aren't we? Darn....)
Back to top Go down
Rhishisikk
Elite Follower
Elite Follower
Rhishisikk

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region   Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 2:58 pm

Nedako: You IN CHARACTER don't know about cairn island until you send a delegation to the Eastern Marsh people (I think they're the Sayan, but I just got off work and need to sleep). Therefore, you can't send people to the Cairn Island.

About kicking the dragon in the eyeball: Investigating the ruins won't necessarily kill all of you. Seeking out Draxx in the Celestial Realm and urinating upon her might very well provoke EXACTLY this response. WARNING: Most of the ruins hold NASTY things. If you let them out before you're ready to handle them, then they're free.
Back to top Go down
tygerr
Elite Follower
Elite Follower

Character sheet

PostSubject: Yet another question about the Eastern Marshes   Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region I_icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 10:49 pm

How "visually open" are the Eastern Marshes in general, and the area around Village Island in particular? Most of the trees are dead, with some still living--are they enough to provide cover/camoflage and obscure vision (so my people can travel through it more or less unobserved YAY, and conversely other smaller-than-dino-sized people/critters can approach the Orang village unobserved OH NOES), or is it basically open terrain (making it harder for anyone to move around unobserved)? How big are the patches of open water?

I'm trying to get a handle on whether others can realistically sneak up on the village unobserved, or whether OTOH any approaching beasts/people are going to be obvious well in advance of direct conflict ranges. And, of course, the inverse, when my people are moving around the area. :-) (Obviously, aquatic/amphibious critters like gators will be able to sneak up at least as far as the shore, but that's not what I mean.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region   Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dark Jungle - Central Lakes region
Page 1 of 1